One very easy way to make a bathroom safer is to install grab bars. Grab bars can be installed anywhere on the bathroom walls, though most commonly in the tub or shower areas. Standard grab bars come in 12, 16, 18, 24, and 32 inch sizes, and are available in either a white or chrome finish.
Also available are grab bars that suction to the surface, which requires NO DRILLING! For suction grab bars the surface must be smooth and flat. Any other type of surface will not work. Mobility Care offers grab bars from the leading manufacturers, Nova Ortho-Med and Rose Healthcare.
When choosing placement of Grab Bars:
• Have one placed at the entrance of the bath or stall vertically
• Place another inside the bath or stall to provide support while bathing
• If using a bath chair, install the inside grab bar at an angle to support getting up from the chair
• If the users have different height then use longer lengths
When installing standard grab bars on tile:
• Use a masonry bit on the drill when drilling the holes
• Decide your placement carefully before you drill
• When you don’t find a stud in the wall when drilling, use toggle bolts to secure the grab bar
When installing suction Cup Grab Bars:
• Surface must be smooth and flat
• Center the grab bars between the grout lines of the tile
Make sure to read our article on making your bathroom a secure place with bath safety equipment.